It is a chronic skin condition caused by a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia globosa, which can cause dryness & itching of the scalp skin. It is a very common hair problem. At some point in our lives we all tried almost all types of dandruff treatment but all in vein. In certain cases Dandruff also can causes acne and pimples which is really very irritating specially for girls.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff:
1. Brushing: Use a good quality comb to brush your hair twice daily because it helps the scalp remove dead skin cells, increases blood flowing and air supply to scalp and hair.
2. shampooing: If you not wash your hair properly, then it creates a residue of dead cells and oil on your scalp and this leads to infection in scalp and dandruff. So rinse thoroughly when shampooing.Use a gentle mild shampoo for regular use. Apply the conditioner only on hair not on your scalp.
3. Fooding: Eat fresh and healthy foods including fruits and leafy vegetables which are rich in minerals, proteins and vitamins & a rich source of antioxidants including zinc and vitamin B, and omega 3 fatty acids. Eat at proper times. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking 7-8 glasses of water regularly..
4. Using excessive hair products: Any chemical present in the hair products by colouring, curling, straightening etc. can worsen your hair problem. Just avoid experiments with your hair.
5. Oiling: Oil your hair regularly to prevent from dry scalp. Most of the people with dry skin is suffering from dry dandruff, which leads to itchy scalp. Those who have oily skin also suffer from another type of dandruff. To avoid this wash your hair with mild shampoo regularly to clean excess oil.
Best Home remedies to treat dandruff:
1. Heat coconut oil and mix with equal amount of lemon juice. Massage gently with it on the scalp and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse hair with a mild shampoo. Continue for few weeks to get better result.
2. Wet your hair and scalp thoroughly. Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda and mix it with a few drops of water to create a paste. Then apply baking soda and rub it on the wet scalp. Rinse it with water ( no need to shampoo). Continue for few weeks.
3. Apply white sour curd to your scalp and hair and leave it for an hour. Rinse it thoroughly with a mild shampoo. Curd has antibacterial properties which not only reduces irritation and itchiness of scalp but also gives hair a shiny texture.
4. Mix small amount of camphor in hot coconut oil. Apply regularly before going to bed. It definitely helps to reduce dandruff.
5. Wash your hair with apple cider vinegar after shampooing. It had antibacterial, antifungal, anti inflammatory, cleansing and clarifying properties which can resist dandruff. It works by changing the pH of the scalp which makes difficult for dandruff-forming fungi to grow.
6. Add few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo to create your own dandruff-busting remedy. You can also add several drops to your hair oil – like olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil – and massage into the scalp. Leave for about 5 minutes before rinsing.
7. Try mixing 10 drops of tea tree oil in 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel. Apply to the scalp and leave overnight, then rinse with water. Repeat this few week for optimal results.
8. Crush 5-6 cloves of garlic and wait for 10 minutes so that it can begin to form allicin. Mix it with honey and apply directly to your scalp. Leave for 10 minutes and then rinse with water and shampoo.
9. Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water and grind to make a paste. Apply this paste on the scalp and leave for one hour. Wash with mild shampoo.
10. Listerine is the most recommended home remedy to remove dandruff. Mix it with water and massage your scalp. Wash after 10-15 mins.
11. Soak heena in hot water overnight. Mix henna, tea liquor, curd, egg white, lemon juice in a bowl and apply it to hair and scalp. Leave for 2 hours. Wash thoroughly with a mild shampoo. Repeat it once a week.